Welcome. This is where you'll find my rantings or maybe something interesting I found while surfing the web. Feel free to comment. If you disagree and I'm very interested in hearing what you think. Let's get into it.
StumbleUpon Toolbar
Stumble It!


Visit luckypuppy.net
Digg!

06 June, 2007

NEW ATM SCAM?

This is not an urban legend, it happened to me.


I was getting cash from an ATM in a grocery store. The ATM was the kind that sucks your card all the way in.

Just as the cash dispensed and I finalized the transaction, a guy walked up saying he had to restock the deposit envelopes. As I snatched my cash I told him to back off and he apologized and did.

I then spent some time trying to figure out why the ATM didn't pop my card out. I spoke with the bank and they said that they didn't service the machine and that it probably sucked my card back in and shredded it. They gave me a business card and told me to call on Monday to see if my shredded card was in there when it was opened.

They were not my bank.

I called my bank and tried to report the card lost. The option (number four, if you're interested) was not working. I tried all night. The next day, Saturday, I went to my bank and reported the card in person. Checking my activity I noticed one transaction at the grocery store. I didn't buy anything. I lost my card.

I've been trying to figure out how this punk got my card ever since. I think I have figured it out...

1. He said he was restocking the deposit envelopes.

2. He had a stack of them in his left hand. He approached from my right.

3. Since he started talking first my attention was on my cash there in the slot.

4. When I told him to back off I instinctively looked at him.

5. He covered my card with the envelopes and took the card.

6. This all happened as soon as I hit the "done" button. I figure he was watching and swooped in as soon as I hit it.

A simple sleight of hand and my card was gone.


This happened in Las Vegas, Nevada. Has this happened to you?

Hope this post will prevent it happening to you.

0 comments: